As the only person in my group of friends who can’t drink (I may have mentioned that I’ve got the Asian Drinking Disease – essentially, I’m allergic), I’m often the designated driver who ensures everyone gets home safe and sound. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a trusty DD, and there are even Angelenos who don’t have a car (it’s true!)
Guest of a Guest explains more, but here’s a quick and easy breakdown of 6 easy apps that help you hitch a ride:
- Lyft: This ride-sharing app allows you to get a ride from their network of everyday drivers. No need to worry about creepsters: all drivers must pass a background check, and you’ll be able to review the profiles of available drivers first. Payments are donation-based, and who can resist giving a great tip to someone who drives with a fuzzy pink moustache on their car?
- SideCar: Essentially the same as Lyft, except drivers can accept passengers based on their requested destination.
- Zimride: Another ride-sharing app, but this one’s ideal for road trips. You can also check out the driver’s Facebook profile to ensure your personalities and tastes will be a good match for the long ride.
- Santa Monica Free Ride: This shuttle service is funded by sponsors, which means you ride for FREE. The shuttle, which starts in June, operates within a specified service area and runs from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Taxi Magic: Book a cab ride or schedule one for later from your choice of major cab networks via text, online, or the app. Get free fare estimates, track your cab as it heads to you in real-time, and give your driver special instructions.
- Uber: The most luxurious yet expensive option, Uber offers black town cars or SUVs. Get flat-rate rides to and from LAX.
Read the entire article at Guest of a Guest.